The Wim Hof Breathing Method (“WHBM”) is a game changer. I recommend to do it multiple times a day especially before and after matches. It consists of breathing deeply through the belly, then chest and then letting go unforced. You should do these breathes 30 to 40 times in short, powerful bursts for 3-4 sets to experience all the benefits. You are essentially over-oxygenating your body which has a ton of health benefits. So, there is no surprise that the best ATP and WTA players in the world, such as Novak Djokovic and Caroline Wozniacki, are consistently doing the WBBM to improve their tennis game. Here are a few of the benefits of doing the WHBM.
1. Increased Energy: The WHBM has been shown to increase energy in the body.
2. Stress reduction: The WHBM is a natural tranquilizer for the mind. So, if you are nervous before a match, the WHBM will help you feel lose, relaxed, and ready for your match.
3. Faster recovery from physical exertion: The WHBM has been proven to help muscle and joint recovery after physical exertion. So, after a difficult match or in between matches, the WHBM will help you recover for your next match.
4. Better sleep: Sleep is HUGE for recovery. Roger Federer sleeps 12 hours a night. The WHBM has been shown to increase sleep quality.
5. Enhanced creativity: The WHBM has been shown to increase creativity. This is especially useful when you need to develop/adapt strategies against your opponent during your match.
6. More focus and mental clarity: Doing the WHBM has been shown to easily get people in “no mind/flow” states which is crucial for high performance.
7. Improved cardiovascular health: Consistently doing the WHBM will help you recover your breathe after long points.
8. Increased muscular endurance: Consistently doing the WHBM will increase your muscle endurance which is crucial for preventing fatigue and cramping during long/consecutive matches.
9. Natural Anti-Inflammatory: The WHBM is a natural anti-inflammatory. Thus, it will help you prevent injuries and feel pain-free on the court.