There is nothing like avocados. I call it “green butter.” I put it on my sourdough bread, in my salads, in my pasta. On essentially everything. It is packed with healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, and is an anti-inflammatory. I will stress this over and over again. If you want a long and successful tennis career, you will need to eat anti-inflammatory foods and the avocado is one of those foods. Here are some of the benefits of the avocado:
- Anti-Inflammatory/Improved Cognition: The majority of the fat in avocado is oleic acid. Oleic acid has been associated with reduced inflammation and improved cognition.
- Great for Vision: Avocados are loaded with powerful antioxidants that can protect your eyes.
- Good for Your Skin:
- Bone Health: Avocados are loaded with vitamin K which is essential for bone health. A lack of vitamin K could be a reason many tennis players suffer from stress fractures.
- Weight Loss: Avocados have been proven to help people lose weight since it is a carb-less fruit.
- The Fat Content Helps Absorb Nutrients From Plant Food: Without including fat in a salad, it is difficult for the body to digest the nutrients from the vegetables.
- Vitamins and Mineral in Half an Avocado.
o Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
o Folate: 20% of the DV
o Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
o Potassium: 14% of the DV (More than a banana which is 10%)
o Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
o Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
o Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
o It also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).